Monday, September 6, 2010

Strobist

I was really inspired by those pro stobists out there. For those that don’t know, a strobe is just another word for a Flash or Speedlite. So, a strobist is just someone who uses strobes to take photos. I invested some money to start my strobe setup. I bought a 580EX II ($500ish) and some cheap wireless flash receivers and a trigger. I also have a second strobe in the mail that should be at my house soon. I’m really just testing the waters, but I've realized I opened up a whole new world for myself. There are an infinite number of places each light or strobe can be placed, giving your photo different lighting.

 

 

(not done an unnamed person found on google images)

 

 

IMG_4394 IMG_4393IMG_4395   Here I had an idea for some shots. I would show the chess pieces in two dramatic views – one from the perspective of the pawns and another from the view of the large king or queen (these indian chess sets have pieces that are really hard to tell what they are). Anyway, you can see my set up from the 3rd shot. I had a normal light (very orange with used alone) and then my 580EX II. So it was 580EX II camera left, and lamp light camera left. The way you see it in the 3rd photo is the same way I shot both shots. You can see, when I fired the shot, the 580EX II went off.

No comments:

Post a Comment