Monday, April 26, 2010

Windows Photo Gallery Vs. Lightroom 3 for Photo Noise Reduction

It’ been about two weeks since I sold my Canon Xsi to buy a T2i. According to UPS tracking information, my camera shall arrive tomorrow morning (of course, ill be at school). Anyways, here are two photos my friend Lucas took with my Xsi this past winter. This is a comparison of the noise reduction in two different programs. Pimp Coat  This photo was taken at 1600 ISO, 5.6f and 105mm. Trench Coat The noise was relatively bad so I plopped it into Lightroom 3 beta two and fixed that noise problem. The top photo without a watermark is the photo that I used noise reduction from Windows Live Photo Gallery and the bottom photo with the Oliver Sholder watermark is edited with lightroom to remove noise. Viewing the larger photos will show a major difference between the two. The conclusion: lightroom is significantly better in terms of noise reduction. This, however, did not come as a surprise since the program costs more than the other free program, plus it has a much more complex algorithm.

2 comments:

  1. Could you post the originals (if possible of course). Typically I get excellent noise reduction from the Windows Live Photo Gallery. But Lightroom 3 has improved its noise reduction indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The noise reduction is windows live photo galery sucks compared to that of lightroom

    ReplyDelete